• The best place for Minnesota Mix Martial Arts news!
  • It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:53 pm
www.mnmmanews.com

Upset about no cancelation 12/11/10

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mixed Martial Arts in Minnesota...

Upset about no cancelation 12/11/10

Postby hoodie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:06 am

is anyone elase a little upset they kept the fights going at teh Target Center? I heard the airport was closed. i heard cabbies didnt function and lots of road closures and accidents and they still kept the fights going... I'm a littel upset because I spent good money and couldn't go because of road conditions. I am sure I am not the only one.I hope this is not because Gavin is greedy and inconsiderate. I am sure it takes a lot ot put on a show, but becasue i spent all that moeny and couldn't go and they teh fights went on, I maybe sidelined or helped back from going to another show. I love MMA and want to support the fighters, but I really don't like the idea of donating that amount of money.
I don't lie bitching but i feel it is justified here. In a way I hope it was a flop, but when people like myself preordered tickets, they already go the money, so almomst feel scammed. That may have been my only chance in this life to see fighters such as Tim Sylvia. I'm not a rich person. I deleiver newspapers and my husband works at a prining company. I work shitty hours so my family can live decent. i spent two weeks pay on tickets. I feel robbed and yet I feel like I cheated my kids.
hoodie

Re: Upset about no cancelation 12/11/10

Postby emmitculver » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:44 pm

I know Gavin personally since I have fought for him and I dont think he is greedy at all..But if they would have cancelled it there is no guarentee that Tim Slyvia woulda been able to fight on the card at a later date. Fighters fight for a living so they need to fight. And he fights in Feb so he prolly wouldnt been able to fight until atleast april or so. I am very upset that it didnt get cancelled to. I am a hour south of the cities so there was no way that I was gonna make it to the show...I tried but it just wasnt gonna work so I had to turn around. All together me and the people I went with are out a 150 bucks. But thats the chance you take in minnesota.
emmitculver

Postby Drew the Jiu » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:26 pm

So, because Tim Sylvia was booked to face a clearly overmatched opponent, they couldn't postpone the show? I don't get it. I mean, maybe had he be scheduled to face Bobby Lashley or Pedro Rizzo I would say you just can't postpone, but Vince Lucero? The guy hasn't won a legitimate fight in three years. Who cares if Sylvia is on a card when he's fighting someone like that?
Drew the Jiu

Postby hoodie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:45 pm

I have to agree with Drew the Jiu. It would be like saying they had to cancel the show because Pulver got hurt. It goes both ways. I think the conditions were not safe enough to expect people to go. Evne though i say I would have gotten tos ee him fight, if he would have gotten injured I still would have gone. I bought the tickets to see Travis, Sylvia and Pulver, but also all the fighters. I think it was a lack of judgement. It can not rely on one fighter. I don't know Gavin and didnt mean to say he was, but I read a lot of things and really I mean i think it should have been canceled. the roads to the cities were closed, cabs not out, airport closed and then I hear the metrodome collapsed....I mean really? I know there are things with fights that I don't know, BUT sometimes. I mean look the Vikings have to play out of state on Monday instead of today at noon. Yeah i might be bitchin for nothing, but i'd like to be heard. I think if ticketmaster wasn't involved it would be different to.
oh well i guess I just can't go to fights for awhile. hopefully they can get some in St.Cloud for a lesser cost.
I'm not dissing anyone, i want to make that clear, i just don't understand the reasoning behind it. i guess maybe if i heard from Gavin it'd be one thing but not knowing the situation all i can think of is money.
hoodie

Postby emmitculver » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Well condsidering Sylvia is fight Rizzo in feb you knew that they werent gonna match him with somebody on his level. All this was was a tune up fight for him before that fight. They werent gonna put him against somebody that woulda done any damage so he didnt miss out on that fight and some big money. Im sorry but everybody associated with Monte Cox didnt have a real challenge except for Tommy Speer had a some what tough fight from what I have read. Its what happens when managers and gym owners are the promoters. Its a problem with basically every promotion in minnesota
emmitculver

Postby calebdude » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:48 am

It doesn't make any sense to cancel the show.

I'm sure in addition to all the show money for the fighters, the other overhead costs such as the rental fee, hotels, promotion, sanctioning fees, and everything else wouldn't have been returned so cancelling the show would have been a total loss.

they are better off running the show for who they could and promoting another show where unused tickets can be redeemed for a discount or something.
calebdude

Postby OneNDone » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:21 pm

I agree it makes more sense to go on then to cancel a show from a money loss standpoint, but I also agree the standup thing to do would be honor a discount or first come first serve type for people that didn't make it. Some people paid good money to see the fights and didn't make it not because of lazyness or something better, but because the National Weather Station reccomended it.
OneNDone

Postby Aasen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm

You guys sound like a bunch of babies or southeners who have never seen snow. If you didn't show up because of the national weather service well boo hoo. I used to work outside and we would laugh when they said don't have your animals outside longer then 5 min and here we were putting in a full day. Only 1 fighter no showed.

All of the people I knew made it in. I drove in, took a little longer but my god people man up, you live in Minnesota.
Aasen

Postby emmitculver » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Its hard to make it in when the route you take to get in is CLOSED...Not all of us live close to the metro
emmitculver

Return to Minnesota MMA News Talk