• The best place for Minnesota Mix Martial Arts news!
  • It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:45 pm
www.mnmmanews.com

MNMMANEWS VIDEO: Ref discussion

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mixed Martial Arts in Minnesota...

MNMMANEWS VIDEO: Ref discussion

Postby MattyMay » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Nick Gamst is 100% correct. Confidence comes from experience, the referee’s need feedback and not just feedback regarding their mistakes. I agree with that. Confidence comes from being built up from both experience and positive feedback. The philosophy “you got a rope, you got a tree all you need is a referee” is a failed attempt at humor and has no positive influence to it at all.

Nick is also right when he says that both himself and Daryl are available for feedback. In my own personal experience whenever I have had a question, no matter how busy they happen to have been, both Nick and Daryl have stopped and taken the time to talk and answer any questions I might have had. It is a priority to both of them and it shows.

“Bad judges, bad judges are out there. We expect judges to be bad. I, I personally believe, have the belief, it’s like if you can’t do you coach. If you can’t coach you promote. If you can’t promote you be a fan. If you can’t be a fan you become a referee. If you’re too stupid to be a referee, I mean you’re just that brain dead, then become a judge.”

Ok, my knee jerk reaction to that was “screw you Reilly”. But once that passed, I thought about it. Mike is speaking from experience (of which he has much more then I) and if that is what his experience has been and that is what he believes then that is something that needs to change.

My question is, are there any groups out there where a guy can get some practice time in judging and get feedback on the decisions?
MattyMay

Re: MNMMANEWS VIDEO: Ref discussion

Postby mikereilly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:21 am

The problem with judging is no matter how you slice it ... it is opinion... if that opinion is not backed up with a great deal of pragmatic experience then how does it differ from anyone?

Understand Im not saying the judges suck... im saying it is a job that is really hard to suck at. I don't really think you could be "better." I mean my idea of a good judge will be the same as everyones... when they agree with me they are good; when they don't they suck.

My biggest problem with Judges is that they get paid and when they are all fussy about having to sit alone. Ammy shows fighters are suppose to get nothing and the judges are looking for money, travel expenses, etc. That is a load of BS right there. Seriously we could have a line of quality people willing to do it for free out the door. You could sell the job on Ebay and make the shows some money.

I used to think Judges should be able to articulate their dec.. But after hearing a few try I realize that might not be such a good idea. Enjoy the show, give your dec. Be thankful for having the best job in the game...

I'm looking to do a round table piece on this subject if I can get some judges who can carry their side of the debate
mikereilly

Re: MNMMANEWS VIDEO: Ref discussion

Postby mikereilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 am

I would like to take back every mean thing I have said about judges and then say them all again... but louder
mikereilly

Return to Minnesota MMA News Talk