• The best place for Minnesota Mix Martial Arts news!
  • It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 am
www.mnmmanews.com

If you book a turd...

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mixed Martial Arts in Minnesota...

If you book a turd...

Postby TheBabyRhino » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 am

You are going to get turd-like behavior. The best prognosticator of what someone will do in the future, is what they have done in their past. Sursa evidently did not order the diet meal on his flight up from Texas. Dammon Nailon calls the fight promoter at 330 pm(an hour before weigh in) and says he was in the hospital. So I was left without an opponent. The Crystal Fight Club had two other fighters on this show, so I went there to support them and was told by some fellow fighters on this circuit that Dammon Nailon has backed out three times on fight day.

The commission should step in after a fighter backs out once, or pulls the kind of crap Sursa did the other night, and make sure that the MMA fans don't get cheated out of what they paid to see. They should be banned from getting the opportunity to hoodwink the fans and their opponents a second time.

The fight promoters are doing a dis service to the sport by even booking guys like this who have questionable character. The only thing they needed to do to avoid these canceled fights is look at recent behavior.
TheBabyRhino

Re: If you book a turd...

Postby KRY » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:07 pm

Agreed. A mandatory year suspension for missing weight would do much more to prevent that behavior than the small financial penalty imposed by most commissions. The same policy could be used for fighters who pull out of fights on short notice without a doctor's note or something of the like.
KRY

Re: If you book a turd...

Postby Kyle Shiely » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:31 pm

The office of combative sports does not have the authority to suspend people except for medical reasons. RD was doing it when he was running the Combative Sports Commission because no one was watching, but now that they are part of the Dept. of Labor the DoL will not allow them to do things they don't legally have the right to do.

I've been working at the Legislature for three years now to get them the authority, but Scott Ledoux and then RD never followed through after I laid the ground work. Hopefully the DoL will get the job done this session.
Kyle Shiely

Return to Minnesota MMA News Talk